HUNTING IN AUCKLAND/WAIKATO
Hunting today suffers many threats; wetland drainage, habitat deprivation, pollution, the animal rights lobby, eco-fundamentalists, paranoia over firearms and worst off all, indifference.
- There are groups who safeguard and share your interests. To join a group concerned with gamebird hunting and the outdoors, please contact your local user group.
- Eden/Papakura/Clevedon/ Miranda: Bill Gordon, 15 Weston Ave, Papatoetoe
- Franklin: William Howard, 8 McGuires Rd, Tuakau
- Hamilton: Michelle Houghton: 19 Purcell Place, Hamilton
- Helensville: Keith Hargraves, 5 Solan Dr, Waimauku
- Huntly: Wayne Rendall, 23 Mary St, Huntly
- Kumeu: Mike Sheppard, C/- Westgate H&F, PO Box 584, Kumeu
- MercuryBay: Bruce McWilliams, 12 Sarah Ave, Whitianga
- Morrinsville: Merv Douglas, 109 North St, Morrinsville
- Ohinemuri: Josh Firth, 445 Awaiti Rd, RD 2, Paeroa
- Otorohanga: Bruce Bush, 3 Hinewai St, Otorohanga
- Putaruru: Martin Bennett, 689 Arapuni Rd, Putaruru
- Te Aroha: Irene Needham, 65 Gordon Avenue, Te Aroha
- Te Awamutu: Mart Preston, 167 Flat Rd, RD 5, Te Awamutu
- Te Kauwhata: Dickie Sansome, 42 Goodin Rd, RD 1, Te Kauwhata
- Upper Piako Management Assoc.: Mike O’Donnell, 116 RegentHeights, Thames
- Waitemata: Len Moule, 89 Lynden Ave, Northcote
HUNTING ON FISH & GAME AND CROWN LAND
A General Authority (which is free to all licence holders) is required to hunt on Fish & Game Land – some 1700ha being owned by the Auckland/Waikato Region purchased from hunters’ and angler’s funds. The Authority can be obtained by sending a stamped, self- addressed envelope to Auckland/Waikato Fish & Game, 156 Brymer Rd, RD 9, Hamilton 3289.
To hunt on Crown land managed by the Department of Conservation (DOC) you require a similar permit (also free) obtained from DOC.
Rayonier Forests: Tairua (Whangamata); Maramarua (Te Kauwhata); and Waihou (Te Aroha). The Mahurangi Forest (Warkworth) is closed for the 2015 game season due to a possum poisoning programme. Permits for Rayonier Forest blocks can be obtained from our office. The cost of the permit for the season is $50 and covers all four forests. This fee is to cover all processing fees, colour maps, as well as a Public Liability Insurance while hunting in any of their forests.
Hunters requiring a permit must provide the following details & send into our office at the above address:
Name, address and phone number/s;
Date of Birth;
Game bird licence number;
Firearms Licence number;
Dog Registration number.
CHH Forest permits contact:
Tokoroa/Waipapa – Barry Corbham of the Kinleith Forest Recreation Club 07 886 8900
TAKE A MATE HUNTING – FOR ONLY $2
Do you have a mate, relative, friend, co-worker or know somebody who is keen to give duck hunting a go, but doesn’t want to pay the full cost of a licence? If so, on a strictly first come, first served basis, limited to the first 100 hunters who write into the Auckland/Waikato office with their 2014 Game bird Licence number, we will let you take your mate hunting on opening weekend for the $2 cost of the Habitat Stamp which is affixed to the licence – which as you will recall is used solely to create, protect and restore wetland habitat.
The offer is strictly limited to those persons (i.e. the mate) who have not purchased a licence before (and we have extensive database records on our computer going back for the last decade which will allow us to check this) – the offer is only opening weekend –recipients of the mate’s licence must be accompanied by a whole season licence holder – the offer only applies to the Auckland/Waikato Fish & Game region – the mate must of course comply with the Game Hunting Regulations. There has never been a better opportunity to introduce your friend, spouse, son or daughter to game bird hunting.