The Auckland/Waikato Region offers a wide diversity of freshwater fishing opportunities with many lake, river and back country fisheries, most with easy access and high scenic values.
Four lakes within one hour of Auckland City are regularly stocked with trout, and wild trout are present in the Mangatawhiri and Mangatangi reservoirs. There is also good trout fishing in the Coromandel Ranges with most rivers having easy access and high scenic values. Further south there are numerous spring-fed trout streams in the South Waikato, and many backcountry fisheries throughout the King Country including the headwaters of the Waipa, Whanganui, Whakapapa, and Awakino Rivers. The Waikato River has an abundant brown trout population, and the hydro-lakes provide excellent lake fishing. Coarse fisheries are present in most lakes north of Hamilton, including Lake Pupuke and Hamilton Lake. Good coarse fishing is also available in the lower Waikato and Whangamarino Rivers.
If you would like a copy of our pamphlet, Getting started in freshwater fishing, or copies of our access pamphlets (listed below) please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Fish & Game New Zealand, Auckland/Waikato Region, RD 9, Hamilton or contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trout Fishing in the Auckland/Waikato Region
- Trout Fishing in South Waikato Spring Creeks
- Trout Fishing in the Coromandel Ranges
- Trout Fishing in the Whanganui Headwaters
- Trout Fishing in the Waikato River
- Trout Fishing in the Waitomo and Kawhia Area
- Trout On Your Doorstep - A quick quide to methods and techniques on the Lower Waikato River